Home Page

SEND Information Report

SEND Information Report


The purpose of our information report is to inform parents and carers about how we welcome, support and make effective provision for children with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND). At Uphill School we believe in ‘Learning without Limits’ - where all children can become more powerful, committed and successful learners when given distinctive supportive conditions and generous opportunities for learning. We know that children thrive best in a nurturing environment where all their achievements are valued and celebrated.  Children who have additional needs are very much part of the school community and are included in all aspects of school life both in and out of the classroom environment.


HeadTeacher ~ Mrs Samantha Hodder
SENCO ~ Mrs Sasha Allsopp
Learning Mentor ~ Mrs Lucy de Scossa


Our School Curriculum
In the classroom our children work in mixed ability groupings. We believe that the key to learning is through offering a creative and exciting curriculum which aims to challenge, inspire and motivate each child. Lessons are delivered to offer children both choice and challenge. Our curriculum is active and balanced and high expectations are encouraged at all times. Everyone is included, valued and respected. We aim to foster a love of learning. Educational visits, visitors to school and enrichment opportunities are essential elements of our creative curriculum.


How will I know how my child is doing?
Parent’s Evenings are held twice a year where you will have the chance to meet your child’s teacher and look at the work your child is doing. Drop-ins will be available termly to come and look at your child’s work.  Extra meetings may be arranged at any time you like to discuss your child with the teacher and/or the Special Educational Needs Coordinator or Learning Mentor.
What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need or disability?
In the first instance, you should always speak to your child’s teacher. If you would like to, you can make an appointment with the school’s Special Educational Needs coordinator (SENCo) or Learning Mentor.  Just ask at the office or email the school to make an appointment.
How does Uphill School know if my child needs extra help with their school work?
Children’s academic progress is closely tracked each term with a range of assessments by the teacher.  Those children whose progress has slowed are soon spotted and support is put in place by the teacher.  This ranges from work set by the teacher in the classroom that is carefully targeted to fill gaps the child may have, short term intervention groups designed to accelerate the child’s progress in a particular area, targeted homework tasks or a place in a supported group in the classroom.


How will I know how Uphill School supports my child?
If the SENCo and your child's class teacher agree that your child has any additional needs, we will take a 'graduated approach' - this means supporting them to make progress in a 'step-by-step' way. We will offer your child extra provision and/or resources, with the possibility of more support if needed. Everything works better when the school and families work together so whatever we decide to do, you and your child will be central to the process.


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?
As part of the team around your child, Uphill will help you to support your child at home.  Together, we will work out what your child needs and make suggestions about things you can do with your child when he/she is not at school.  This may be games you can play together, computer games that may support learning, regular reading etc.
What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?
All children get sad and confused on occasions.  This may be due to friendship problems, difficulties at home or at school, bereavement, illness or a long term difficulty such as autism.  The class teacher is usually the one to spot if something is not quite right, and we always welcome information shared from the parents about something that may be affecting the child’s emotional wellbeing.  In school we have a Learning Mentor who can support children through both long and short term difficulties.
Which specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?
We have a good deal of specialist knowledge and experience within school. We have good links when extra support is necessary from the Vulnerable Learners Service (VLS) and Support Skills for Learning (SS4L). From these we can engage the support and advice of Educational Psychologists, Advisory Teachers and HLTAs as well as have access to Sensory Support Services, Speech and Language therapists. We also liaise with other agencies such as CAMHS, Community Paediatricians, School nursing team and Occupational Therapists.
How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?
All children, regardless of their needs, are included in all parts of school life, including trips away from school and residential trips. School trips are organised with everyone in mind and extra staff can be provided to assist children with SEND where it is deemed to be necessary and practical. Parents may also be invited to come along where appropriate. 
How accessible is the school environment?
Uphill is an old school but most areas are accessible to all children, including all the classrooms. 
How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Uphill School or transferring to a new school?
Children who need extra support at times of transition are identified by the school and/or the parents.  Enhanced transition procedures are then put in place.  These can be extra visits to the school/class, transition books with photos and information, meetings with teachers or tutors and meetings between staff at both schools, and the parents.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?
At the beginning of each year, and at regular times throughout the year, each year group staff meets with the head teacher to talk about needs within that year group.  Decisions are made at this meeting about what support can be put in place.  Each class has a learning support assistant who can support groups or individuals in the class.  In addition, in certain cases funding can be applied for that could pay for 1:1 assistance for the child. Other support could consist of Learning Mentor input, use of practical resources such as laptops, reading or Numeracy support, Speech and Language interventions, Family support, Social Skills etc.
How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?
Parents are involved in all stages of the support offered.  Meetings to set targets for the child are held with the parents and the child (if appropriate).  Parental permission is required before outside agencies become involved.  If your child has more complex needs, parents are invited to meetings between professionals.  Parents of children with Statements of Special Educational Needs/EHC plans are an important part of the planning process.  You can request a meeting with your child’s teacher any time you need one. 

Who can I contact for further information?
In the first instance, always contact your child’s teacher. If you would like to see the Head teacher or the SENCo, please ask at the office or email/telephone the school.


Reviewed November 2018